It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:41 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Is it possible to set the car paint with damage material correctly for rFactor2 ?

Below are the settings that I have used. Any advice would be great and material settings for windows etc.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:17 am 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Ok, so the lack of any response means that 3dsimed can not be used to export cars for rF2 !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:44 am 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

So if I responded 'yes' then that would mean it did work?, for certain on everyone's machine with every model?.

Are you getting bad results?, the message suggests you are but gives no hint as to what problems you have encountered.

If it isn't working have you tried copying the material from another car that's in the game?.

Cheers!

Dave N.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:47 am 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Well I was trying to find out if anyone else had the problem or I had something set wrong.

The carbodys do not look correct they are dull without any reflections.
The first thing that I did was to copy an isi cars material settings but it gives the strange dull look.
Import an isi car into 3dsimed and export it again and it doesn't have any reflections etc. The model works in rF2 but there is something wrong with the material settings.

Here are a couple of threads on the rF2 forum about the problem.
http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/19254-Reflection-export-problem
http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/11784-guide-for-converting-cars-form-rfactor-1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:47 pm 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

I cannot understand why this is not working correctly - perhaps my tests had an element of good fortune because the Reflection Mapping should have been working for a long time. It's also a shame that the comments about 3DSimED were made on another forum and I missed them as I would have looked at any issues ages ago.

At the moment I am reinstalling rF2 so I can't test but when I examine the binaries for the Clio wccarbody material the only difference is that the livery .dds is referenced rather than the original clio_body.dds and I've noticed the alpha channels are different so I wonder if that could be it (does it help to use the original body .dds?) . Whatever, I'll get this sorted for a release in the very near future.

Cheers!

Dave N.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:37 pm 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

I have copied the Corvette to Moddev, imported and exported with no loss of reflections. I can even get the reflections to work with reflection mapper set to false.

When I look at the shader for paint with damage the paint texture rgba comes from lerping, by vertex alpha, the diffuse texture and the damage texture (if alpha = 1 use 100% diffuse if 0 use 100% damage). This rgb has added to it (reflected rgb * specular tex rgb * paint alpha * Fresnel reflection). The reflected rgb comes from the objects around so if the specular rgb is bright, the alpha in the paint near 1, and the Fresnel values reasonable it should all work - there's not much to go wrong.

So make sure you have near opaque diffuse and damage textures, a bright specular texture and your vertex alphas nearing 1, and reasonable Fresnel values (which you do have) and it should go.

If there's still a problem please pm me with the model.

Cheers!

Dave N.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:56 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

rF2 export works fine. From the pics u posted, u have setted ref mapper to false, which MUST be set to true, so the car reflects the enviro. Also fres reflect 0.3, 0.5, 1..... is a little off. Better values achieved with 0.2, 1.0, 4.0, or similar.. A good reference of carbody setting is to see the ISI Vette 1.49 settings.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:03 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Ah, so that is channel 4 animation reflection mapper should be true. I was playing with different value in fresnel reflect.
I will give it a try soon. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:05 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

I think that I have found a bug that may have caused my problems. I using version 3.0s
If I set the reflection mapper to true and then save the materials to a .3sm file, when I load the materials back in the reflection mapper is set to false.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:58 am 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

Thanks for sending the model files.

The problem is the specular texture map which is too dark, if you make it brighter then you will get the reflections, I don't even think you need the reflection mapper set to true because for at least this year the rF2 shader has always used the environment, not the cube map.

BTW, yes, you have found a bug but it does not stop the rF2 export from working.

Cheers!

Dave N.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:52 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

The reflections appear to be working now. I'm don't know if it was changing the specular map or the reflection mapper to true that fixed it, its just a matter of fine tuning things to get the correct reflections now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:56 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

One more bug is that render target is not saved with save materials it always loads back in as false.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:31 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

render target.... i assume you talking about mirror material. u have to set moveable=true, and ofcourse render target=true. than save, and no matter what it says the next time you open it, render is active :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:04 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Render Target is also used for the gauges.
Its when I save the material settings to a .3sm file I have RenderTarget set to true, then when you reload the material settings file (.3sm) it is set to false.