It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: 3DSimED 3.0v
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:01 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

R Soul wrote:
You have to set Billboard and Moveable to True, then set the pivot point. At the top of the Object Instance Edit panel, use the last icon. Then go to Export > your game > Save Objects (for ISI format games). Then go to Update SCN or TRK. You can speed up the process by hiding objects that don't need updating (hidning materials doesn't count).

I cannot get it working. I also see that existing billboards are not tagged as billboard or moveable.
Didi you really make it work? If so please explain how you created the object itself...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:57 pm 
Jackman
Jackman

That method is for rF1 not rF2 and rF2 billboards don't work in rF1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:03 am 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Nibiru_XR wrote:
That method is for rF1 not rF2 and rF2 billboards don't work in rF1

Ok. Thanks. Now it makes sense!

I wonder if the issue for rF2 will get addressed.
As mentioned in the BB specific thread we need something to better handle BBs for rF2.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:44 pm 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

Just to be clear. rF1 and rF2 both support object billboards in which simple objects (say an upright rectangle) are rotated about the pivot point to face the viewer. For this to happen the object must be tagged as a Billboard and Moveable, and the pivot point must be set.

rF2 has face billboarding which turns every face towards the viewer and requires the material to use one of the 'Stamp' shaders. Vertexes for a face all have identical XYZ (the pivot point) and the relative coordinates to draw the face are put in texture channel 3. At the moment 3DSimED can correctly render stamped faces but are a headache to fully support, particularly when it comes to finding a way to help the user convert conventional faces to stamped faces.

Cheers!

Dave N.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:46 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Dave Noonan wrote:
Just to be clear. rF1 and rF2 both support object billboards in which simple objects (say an upright rectangle) are rotated about the pivot point to face the viewer. For this to happen the object must be tagged as a Billboard and Moveable, and the pivot point must be set.

So, if I understand correctly...

- A billboard object can be very simple or complex but it will have one single pivot point around which all faces will rotate. This prevents from grouping various trees into a single gmt.

- I understand that, considering that some fps gain is obtained from grouping, for this simple face trees the best way is to use face billboarding.

- However it would still be possible to create those simple "single-face" trees placed individually. I understand that they would look better than the "star" trees and save resources since star trees typically have 3 or 4 faces. What I don't know is how much is gained from grouping objects nearby which for sure can be done with normal star trees. In this trade-off between number of faces and number of objects, is there some kind of rule (apart from testing) which can help determining the best way to organize the scn for higher fps? For me it is interesting in any case since I usually don't take the time to group them after exporting from BTB where they are created individually.

Dave Noonan wrote:
rF2 has face billboarding which turns every face towards the viewer and requires the material to use one of the 'Stamp' shaders. Vertexes for a face all have identical XYZ (the pivot point) and the relative coordinates to draw the face are put in texture channel 3. At the moment 3DSimED can correctly render stamped faces but are a headache to fully support, particularly when it comes to finding a way to help the user convert conventional faces to stamped faces.

- I might be wrong but I think this could be handled in a simpler way. I do not need to convert any conventional face into stamped face. I just need a template face which I could export to 3ds to plant trees in BTB that I will later be able to easily convert to face billboard with 3dsimed. When I export an existing face BB to 3ds format to create an xpack, the object is invisible in BTB since the vertexes are in the pivot point. As you undesrtand it is not posible to handle a scene with invisible objects.

- Billboards are used 99% of the times for trees. The only thing that needs to be done to the template is to apply a texture and resize the object. For multiple face bilboards (group of trees)I would make them by combining individual ones made out of the same template.

- It would be great if the conversion from this standardized faces (obtained from the template) to face BBs could be automatized or at least supported and documented how to do it.

- It needs to be noted that whoever is using 3dsimed as 3d editing tool does not require anything of this since he can work with existing face BBs and place them individually. The problem is the impossibility to work with them within BTB.

I hope I explained my point dave

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:19 pm 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

Yes, you've understood the different billboard methods, and, yes, the object billboards are not suitable for complex objects such as a bunch of trees, whereas the face-stamp billboards of rF2 will work.

As you say, the downside of face-stamp geometry is that the XYZ vertices of a face are identical and so will be invisible exported to other formats. For BTB do you just need the .3DS object faces to have size?, the faces using stamp materials could easily be converted when exporting to .3DS, the downside is they would just face one direction.

Cheers!

Dave N.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:53 am 
Jackman
Jackman

Got a virus warning here too but on the .exe which hasn't happened before. Just a FYI...

Attachments:
3DEDCapture.PNG
3DEDCapture.PNG [ 3.84 KiB | Viewed 1859 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:07 am 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

I don't know if this has been reported before but when HDR is turned ON, the double left click to center the image does not work properly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:21 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

ksPerPixelNM Shader

There seems to be a problem with the the ksPerPixelNM shader in 3DSimed. Some beta testers report issues that look like this:

issue solved - beta tester took the wrong file version

Last edited by Rainmaker on Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:28 am 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

Yes, there is because 3DSimED3 does not even attempt to mimic the AC shaders as the HLSL source is unavailable. I have tried to explain this at my site, and it's the reason I recommend using the latest FBX Export Plugin and the KsEditor if you want to see the correctly rendered materials which I guess most editors will.

Cheers!

Dave N.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:40 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

OK thanks for your fast answer. Nevertheless 3DSimed is even now a very useful tool to edit AC conversions :) Other shader are working very well and the speed of changing shader is much faster than in the ksEditor. (copy and paste materials)

I will release some of my conversions in the near future. Beta testers gave green light. Stay tuned!