It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:41 pm 
Jackman
Jackman

Hello everyone, I have a simple goal in mind; to take the Grid autosport track Mont Tremblant and convert it to Assetto Corsa.

I'm willing to buy 3DsimED if this is all I need to achieve my goal.

Why Mont Tremblant? Because I'm a Canadian and as far as I know the track hasn't been done for AC, a sim that I enjoy.

I have no previous track editing experience or tools, is 3DsimED all that I need and is this going to take me a year to complete or what?

Any info would be much appreciated!!!

Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:56 am 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

It would take a long time as you'd have a lot of learning to do and the Grid Autosport version of Tremblant needs some work just to get it ready for conversion. However, it is definitely possible and I am improving the 3DSimED FBX Export plugin to improve exporting to KsEditor, the Assetto Corsa track editor Kunos released. You really shouldn't need much else although you might want to create some of your own texture maps but there are definitely free paint apps out there.

It depends really whether you'd enjoy the learning experience along the way because that can be a lot of fun but if you're hoping to have a track to drive in a matter of days I think you'll be disappointed - it's not an automatic process.

Cheers

Dave N.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:16 am 
Jackman
Jackman

thanks Dave for the response, I don't need the track to be perfect and am willing to put some time in it. Wasn't expecting it to be ready in a few days, figured at least a month with a few hours a day in it...

Ok so then can I conclude that in the current version of 3DsimED, it's not a good idea for me to try since it won't work properly? Or is it easier to convert to rFactor2?

I have no idea why I would need more textures as you said, so yes obviously clueless about the whole procedure :doh:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:34 pm 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

Some of the data is exported and imported using plugins, I intend to update, in the very near future, the FBX Export plugin to help with using the Assetto Corsa KsEditor but there's no harm in starting now. Don't worry about the textures right now but you probably will want to work on some of them but there are loads of editors out there if you don't already have something like Adobe Photoshop Elements or Paint Shop Pro.

Cheers

Dave N.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:32 am 
Jackman
Jackman

Ok thanks, sounds like a decent size project like most things in sim modding. I'll have to think whether the time and money for the program is worth it.

Good holidays Dave!