It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:53 pm 
Jackman
Jackman

I have LAN races at my home for kids to introduce them to racing and keep them out of trouble.
Cutting corners is a problem, kids just want to win. I keep flags of to keep things moving.
I have 3dsimed and need help copying and pasting existing tire walls on several tracks in order to keep them honest. I have spent hours looking in here and on 3dsimed with no luck. There must be a easy way.
Thanks for any help, Bryan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:06 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

I have often in the past done similar things to avoid people cutting corners.
Fast guys typically cut corners in sim racing.

1) In rFactor1 try increasing the sink= number for the gras material in the .tdf file.
This way, if you cut a corner and dip your tires onto the grass, any dip will unsettle the car.

2) Increase the height and bump frequency (in the .tdf file) on the rumble strips (rmbl material) to keep guys from straddling and completely running over the curbing.

3) Add single tires to the inside of corners so that anyone going four wheels off inside the apex will get knocked around for trying this, but will not destroy their car.

I use an older version of 3DSimEd at the moment (version 2.x), and with the track open in 3DSimEd you move the mouse over the location of where you want the tires to be, and then mark this x,y,z location on a piece of paper.
Left click on a stack of tires and click center in the window, which will provide the current location of the tires, change these numbers to the ones on your piece of paper.
Once the tires are located where you want them, then hide everything around the tires, left click and copy the tires, paste the tire object into a new empty window, and finally save-as object to a temp folder.
Rename the tire object .gmt to something unique tires_corner1.gmt and then add this to your .scn file.
Not sure if this is the same in the latest version of 3DSimEd.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:37 pm 
Jackman
Jackman

Thanks GFraser1965'

I like the grass idea. In some case it's gravel, I would imagine I could alter the gravel to upset the car also ? Chicanes are the worst, Watkins Glen, Daytona Road etc.... . In my case the racers are kids, there needs to be some negative reinforcement for cutting. Stop and goes are out of the question at this point.

I will try your explanation of 3dsimed also. I have worked with it for hours with no results.
I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your time, Bryan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:10 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

You could also try adding those orange sausage curbs to the inside of the rumble strips.

Attachments:
orange_sauage_track_curbs.jpg
orange_sauage_track_curbs.jpg [ 85.25 KiB | Viewed 1248 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:28 pm 
Jackman
Jackman

GFraser1965 , Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
I have not figured out how to copy and paste but I have learned how to duplicate and drag to a new location. and with the help of Dave Noonan Tutorial "Using Google Sketchup with 3DSimed" I was able to save and export back into the track.
Thanks Again