It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:56 pm 
Legendary Driver
Legendary Driver

I am still using an old version of SimEd (1.17b) mainly for NR2003 obviously.

When I export a complex object (to .3ds) such as a grandstand that has state switches, or anything that uses multi/sub object textures I have 2 issues. Is there a way in simed to select a state switch of say a grandstand and only export one state vs having the whole collection of meshes merged into one? Or is there a cleaner way to do it in max? I have to select each face and texture pick each face to manually figure out what goes where.

Note I do not need simed to do the converting back. I am just looking for a cleaner way to get existing models into max fully mapped.

The second issue is that the texture names in a multi/sub object texture get their names converted to what looks like chinese.. it is a royal pain to have to go through and select each face and try and determine whether it is on the state switch you are trying to work with and then figure out what texture is supposed to go where. Such as a large grandstand that used 10+ textures. All with a testing set and a race weekend set.

Have these issues been resolved in later releases? I would gladly purchase an update if needed! :shrug:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:26 am 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

It has been a while since I've used the original version of 3DSimEd, but, when exporting or importing to .3ds I always had to use textures and material names that were a maximum of 8 characters long. If they were any longer the names would get corrupted.
example:
grandstandseats.dds >>grdstds1.dds

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:38 am 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

I'm not exactly sure of your other question, but what I always did was opened an object in 3DSimEd, then holding the cntrl key clicked and dragged over the faces I wanted to edit, CUT those faces, File New to open a new window, Edit Paste to paste the faces and saved to .3ds

Then opened this new .3ds file in my modeling program.
Edited and re-saved the .3ds file.
Then from the original 3DSimEd window which had the full object I clicked Primitives Add-Object and selected the newly edited .3ds file.
Then Edit Explode-All-Objects.
Then if my material names were the same I was good to simply re-save my complete object.
//
And if the imported .3ds file had a corrupted material name or texture, I would click Edit Material-Operations Replace-Materials.
Select the material of the corrupted name.
And replace it with the correct name.

Hope that makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:54 am 
Legendary Driver
Legendary Driver

Well that would select all of the faces...again i can do that in max...

Here is a video showing exactly what i am trying to do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnWVgzJaPHA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:44 am 
Legendary Driver
Legendary Driver

I have had this issue since day one using simed for the conversion process. I have never been that good with modelling so I have never attempted messing with complex shapes until recently. I am self taught (with the help of many free resources online. I want to update alot of the nr2003 grandstands since I feel I am capable now, but building them from scratch is looking like a better idea unless I can get a better conversion process going. I have always had the same result on multiple versions of 3dsmax, and multiple different versions of Windows over the years. I also downloaded the latest trial version of simed 3 and the only change I noticed was that the .3ds file was about half the size in kb of the .3ds from the older 1.17b version. As far as the naming structure mentioned even the short named files in this case such as topbld.mip and red.mip and blue.mip are still messed up. So it seems like a resource pack is missing in either max or simed...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:51 am 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

I'm thinking when you saved to .3ds ........... that any faces that are mapped to a single .dds file end up as one material.

In the latest/newer versions of 3DSimEd you can save to Collada .dae
Collada retains material and texture names and properties better than .3ds

With regard to your double polys ........... I've sometimes also seen where a modeler duplicated his polys and reversed the face on one side in order to create a double sided poly or face. More than once this type of modeling has messed me up as I wasn't able to separate the two polys very well. I car windshield is an example, where some modelers will simply duplicate their polys and reverse the normals to end up with a double sided windscreen. But the next guy editing this has a hard time separating these polys.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:20 am 
Legendary Driver
Legendary Driver

Keep in mind this is a papyrus .3do to .3ds. The grandstand objects contain state_switches in order for the game to pull out a group of textures for testing session or race weekend. Papyrus mainly dealt with .bmp and .tga formats before converting to game file .mip In my video you can see 3dsimed drawing both meshes all in one object. However it is impossible as I see it to separate the 2 meshes. I was able to get it to draw only one by deselecting materials used for the state switch i do not want, but that does not carry over to the exported .3ds

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:01 am 
Champion Driver
Champion Driver

Currently, none of the 3DSimEd versions separate out state switches, LODs or object hierarchies into individual objects. Neither can they save such things.