It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:21 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Hi folks,

I'm experiencing this problem when trying to export to 3DS. I've done my best to build a scene by isolating objects and copying them, then choosing to paste faces, as pasting the objects was not available. The scene looks good now but I can't export it, as this happens and exporting to DAE results in a mashed up mesh.

I've spent hours on this, and it was painstaking (I really look forward to a time when I can make a box selection and just delete masses of objects, vertices or faces from scenes!), I really hope I can export it and don't have to go through that lot again!

Can someone advise, please?

Many thanks. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:28 pm 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

It's unusual to have individual objects with more than 65535 vertices but that will happen if you Isolate and then past faces into a scene, why do it that way when you can export the objects to .3DS without Isolate?.

BTW, you can make a box selection holding down the CTRL key and dragging the mouse, you should then be able to delete the objects or faces.

One function that could help is the Tools->Split Objects by Materials which could give you objects each with less than 65535 vertices.

I'd be interested to know what's going wrong with the Collada .DAE as that should work.

What about .FBX export is that any good to you?.

Cheers

Dave N.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:23 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Hi Dave, thanks for replying.

What I was hoping to do was take an enormous environment and use only a small portion of it, so I selected everything visible from one point of view and opened these items individually in 3DSE and attempted to compile them into this smaller scene, in order to export that to 3DS. I'm still not really familiar with the workflow within 3DSE and often have terrible list blindness, which makes scrolling through lists of thousands of objects, most of which have numeric names, making it even more awkward due to my dyscalculia, quite a task. I'd much prefer to either select everything I don't want in one big hit and delete it from the scene, or individually select what I do want (as in shift+click in most software) and cut it, select all, delete and then paste. Unfortunately, exporting huge environments is a no-go, as it kills my editing software. I'll want to be doing this with my own circuit someday, in order to make my animation, so I need to get a good and fast workflow down for it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:36 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

I've tried the ctrl+click-drag for selecting but it only seems to be selecting objects, some of which extend into the areas I wish to keep. Is there any way of having this select faces only and, if so, will it keep the UV proportions etc?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:04 am 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

With the drag left-button down or right-click you get the choice to edit face data or the objects selected.

Another method is to use Edit->All Visible which operates only on objects currently displayed and you can use Display->Object Filter which objects will be displayed.

Objects can also be hidden with right-click so, for example, you could select an object, hide it and the with Edit->All Visible delete all other objects.

Cheers

Dave N.